Can I just stay how much I'm enjoying the Pathway program?? Its been 4 weeks and I've already seen so many blessings come because of this program. I am completely enjoying studying the Book of Mormon. This week’s reading assignment was 1 Nephi 15-22. So much happened in these verses, they
wandered in the wilderness, they had the liahona, Nephi built a ship, they
sailed to the Promised Land, they had children, etc.
I think what struck me the most in these chapters was the
stark difference between Nephi and his brother’s Laman and Lemuel. And truthfully, I’m getting sick of hearing
the same things from Laman and Lemuel. I
want to shout: QUIT COMPLAINING! But I guess there are lessons to be learned here. They
both traveled the same steps, the same distance, yet their attitudes and faith
were completely different.
Let’s talk about Nephi first, he continued to count his
blessings and was faithful through all of their struggles. Elder Richard G Scott said: “When those
trials are not consequences of your disobedience, they are evidence that the
Lord feels you are prepared to grow more.
He therefore gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding
and compassion, which polish you for your everlasting benefit. To get you from where you are to where He
wants you to be requires a lot of stretching and that generally entails
discomfort and pain.” When Nephi’s bow
broke, everyone started to murmur, even Lehi got discouraged, and they were all
very hangry! (angry because your so hungry!) Nephi tried to talk to everyone
about their hard hearts (Nephi 16:22) and then he got to work. He didn’t sit around complaining or waiting
for the Lord to provide. He built
another bow and then talked to his father about where to go. The Lord then blessed them. Nephi says “and thus we see that by small
means the Lord can bring about great things.”
(Nephi 16:29) This experience teaches
a great lesson on relying on the Lord, he will provide even when the outcome
looks bleak. BUT we can’t sit around
waiting for the blessings, we need to continue to work for it.
Nephi also was commanded to build a ship. He didn’t know how to build a ship, but he
trusted in the Lord and the Lord told him how to do it. His brothers of course, murmured against him,
calling him a fool. He tries to teach
them faith, but they won’t listen.
Nephi continues on and after he finishes the ship, they sail away on
it. After they had been sailing for a
few days, Laman and Lemuel start to party and are getting a bit out of hand
(Nephi 18:9). Nephi is afraid the Lord
won’t be happy with them because of their behavior and tells them they need to
stop. Laman and Lemuel get upset with
him again tie him up. The storms come in
and they are afraid they might be swallowed up in the sea. Nephi was bound for 4 days, the sea wasn’t
calm, I’m sure he didn’t sleep during that time, his wife and children were
crying and I’m sure sick for his safety.
They finally untie Nephi and this is what Nephi says “I did not murmur
against the Lord because of mine afflictions.” (Nephi 18:16) Such an example of not just enduring, but
enduring well!
Now, lets talk about Laman and Lemuel. In Nephi 17:45 it says, “Ye are swift to do
iniquity but slow to remember the Lord your God. Ye have seen an angel, and he
spake unto you; yea, ye have heard his voice from time to time; and he hath
spoken unto you in a still small voice, but ye were past feeling, that ye could not feel his words; wherefore, he has
spoken unto you like unto the voice of thunder, which did cause the earth to
shake as if it were to divide asunder.”
Laman and Lemuel were “past feeling” which means they were so far gone
they couldn’t feel the words of the Holy Ghost. They hardened their hearts and would rather
complain than turn to the Lord. How many
of us chose to do this? I know I’ve done
this in some parts of my life. Its hard
to be Nephi all the time; being acting like Laman and Lemuel is much
easier! But if we stay close to the
spirit, we will be doing what we should.
I want to share another difference from Nephi and his
brothers, In Nephi 17:20 Laman and Lemuel said “we have wandered in the
wilderness for these many years; and our women have toiled, being big with
child; and they have borne children in the wilderness and suffered all things,
save it were death; and it would have been better they died before they came
out of Jerusalem to have suffered these afflictions.” Yikes, that is harsh. I wonder how their wives would have felt
hearing those words. But Nephi responds with these words: “If God
had commanded me to do all things I could do them. If he should command me that
I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I
should say it, it would be done.” (Nephi 17:50)
I find it interesting that these brothers were all given the
same chances, the same experiences, the same upbringing, yet because Nephi had
faith and trusted in the Lord he chose not to complain every second and I’m
sure he was happier because of his decisions.
He knew everything would work out and he never lost trust that the Lord
would provide for him. I hope I can
always have the outlook Nephi does. He
is an amazing example for how to act in our trials. If we trust in the Lord we’ll be ok, no
matter the outcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment