I loved this week's readings. We read about
Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah's conversion. We learned about
the reign of Judges. We learned about how one person's example can make a
huge impact. We also learned more about the atonement.
I'll start off with Alma's conversion. I love
how as soon as he is converted he wants to go and spread the gospel. In
Mosiah 28:3 it says "Now they were
desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could
not bear that any human soul should perish; yea, even
the very thoughts that any soul should endure endless torment did
cause them to quake and tremble."
It made me
think about my life, am I excited to share the gospel? I’m not sure I
have that burning desire, like these men do.
Something I need to change. A few
weeks ago I taught the Relief Society lesson on Member Missionaries. As
soon as I saw I was teaching on that, I started praying for a
missionary experience. Not much had happened, I think sometimes we
get caught up in our own bubbles and see the same people. I was afraid
this was happening. Then some controversy with the church on Facebook happened and I had to really research to understand my stance and
what I believed in. At that time, there wasn't anything put out by the
church yet, so I turned to the scriptures and to prayer. I was able
to understand and get a testimony of what I believed in. Then,
the Thursday before I taught; we had a visit from our case worker. We have
a pretty close relationship and knowing that I’m a Mormon she asked me about
this controversy. I then shared my testimony with her. I testified
of the love and importance of families and how important they are to me.
She thanked me for sharing with her and helping her understand. I was so
grateful she asked me and I was able to share my testimony. I think its
simple ways like that we can be share the gospel.
Next, we
learn about how powerful one person can be.
Nehor teaches false doctrines and many people follow him. It made me think how powerful our examples
can be, either for good or evil. My son
Johnny was at a birthday party for a friend.
This friend is not one of his best friends, and is a little bit of an
outcast. While at the party, my son took this friend by
the hand and had him come play with his group of friends. His friends all played with this boy because
of my son’s example. We need to make
sure we are using our examples for good rather than evil. The influence of one is great.
Moving
onto the Atonement. Reading about Alma’s
teachings to the people are really great chapters. Alma 7:12 says “And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the
bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their
infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh,
that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to
their infirmities.” Christ has taken on our sins and has shown us his mercy. The atonement is the ultimate gift we could receive. At this holiday season, I’m so very grateful
for our Savior who came to this earth for me and for you. I hope we can remember the true reason for the
season.
No comments:
Post a Comment