This week’s reading was from
Alma 43-63. Its filled with accounts of
war. We are in war every day. The family is at war. We must strive to protect it, to teach our
children these eternal truths. This week,
we went to a funeral for Howard’s cousin’s 4 year old little girl. I’m so grateful for the atonement and the
knowledge of forever families. I’m so
grateful for hope and the peace our sweet cousins have felt. I’m grateful for their example in this
sorrowing time that they can see the hope and the light even in the
darkness. In Alma 43:47 it says “And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall
defend your families even unto bloodshed. Therefore for this cause were the
Nephites contending with the Lamanites, to defend themselves, and their
families, and their lands, their country, and their rights, and their religion.” Now we don’t have to defend our families
like the Nephites had to, but we have to spiritually defend our families. The Eagar family has shown us example of
that. We all want to spend eternity with
our families and we need to always actively defend our family.
Now let’s talk about Moroni. He was just 25 years old when he took
command. (see Alma 43:17) Alma 48:17
says Yea, verily, verily I say unto you,
if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the
very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never
have power over the hearts of the children of men. He was prepared spiritually and
temporally. He had a perfect
understanding. What a blessing, and a
blessing we all can have and should work for.
He never backed down. Something
we need to remember. Stand up for our
beliefs…no matter what. After reading
through these chapters, I’m at awe of Moroni.
He is a fantastic hero! I will
strive to be like him and continue to work for this.
Alma 48:19 Now
behold, Helaman and his brethren were no less serviceable unto the people than
was Moroni;”. I loved Hellman. I loved the love that
he had for his “sons”. He truly
cared for them and was so protected of them.
President Howard W. Hunter said this “Not all of
us are going to be like Moroni, catching the acclaim of our colleagues all day
every day. Most of us will be quiet, relatively unknown folks who come and go
and do our work without fanfare. To those of you who may find that lonely or
frightening or just unspectacular, I say, you are ‘no less serviceable’ than
the most spectacular of your associates. You, too, are part of God’s army.”
“Consider, for example, the profound service a
mother or father gives in the quiet anonymity of a worthy Latter-day Saint
home. Think of the Gospel Doctrine teachers and Primary choristers and
Scoutmasters and Relief Society visiting teachers who serve and bless millions
but whose names will never be publicly applauded or featured in the nation’s
media.
“Tens of thousands of unseen people make possible
our opportunities and happiness every day. As the scriptures state, they are
‘no less serviceable’ than those whose lives are on the front pages of
newspapers.
“The limelight of history and contemporary
attention so often focuses on the one rather than on the many”
I LOVED that quote.
So many of us are Helaman’s, we won’t be noticed, but that doesn’t mean
we are any less important in the Army of God.
Sometimes this can be hard, but if we can remember we are ‘no less
serviceable’ and being like Helaman isn’t a bad thing. ;)
Of talking about the 2000 Stripling Warriors, Julie B Beck said “In the Book of Mormon we read about 2,000 exemplary young men who were exceedingly valiant, courageous, and strong. “Yea, they were men of truth and soberness, for they had been taught to keep the commandments of God and to walk uprightly before him." These faithful young men paid tribute to their mothers. They said, “Our mothers knew it." I would suspect that the mothers of Captain Moroni, Mosiah, Mormon, and other great leaders also knew.
The responsibility mothers have today has never required more vigilance. More than at any time in the history of the world, we need mothers who know. Children are being born into a world where they “wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." However, mothers need not fear. When mothers know who they are, who God is, and have made covenants with Him, they will have great power and influence for good on their children.”
How can I be a mother who knows? I know that I have a testimony. I know my children are learning about the gospel. I know when we read our scriptures my children are learning precious truths. I know the healing power of the atonement. I know families are forever. I know my children are very special and as their mother, I need to be worthy and prepare them for their future. This can be a daunting task, but if we work on it line by line precept upon precept we will get there. I know I have a great power and influence for good on my children.
No comments:
Post a Comment