Friday, March 11, 2016

Pathway Lesson 9: 3 Nephi 23-30


3 Nephi 23-30



This week’s reading was good…I was the lead student, which means, I get and keep a discussion going.  It went well and I'm grateful for my classmates and the friendships that have formed.  Its been so neat to discuss each week what we’ve read, I’ve learned from my fellow classmates and I’m kind of sad to be finishing up the Book of Mormon.  That being said, I’ve learned so much this year.  Anyone thinking of doing Pathway, I completely give it my stamp of approval! 



Our reading starts off with Isaiah.  I still seem to get a little lost when Isaiah’s teaching are being talked about.  When I start reading Isaiah, especially in the past, I usually skim over it, but Christ says at the beginning of 3 Nephi 23 how great the words of Isaiah are.  That really helped change my attitude for all the reading and really try to grasp what is being taught here.



President Boyd K Packer said “Isaiah is the most quoted prophet in the New Testament.  The Lord Himself quoted Isaiah seven times, the Apostles forty times more.  In addition, there are ninety partial quotes or paraphrases of Isaiah’s words.   Isaiah is the most quoted prophet in the Doctrine and Covenants.  Sixty-six quotations from thirty-one chapters of Isaiah attest to the singular importance of this great prophet.  All of this confirms that the Lord had a purpose in preserving Isaiah’s words.”


Sounds like I’m the one with the issue, because there is so much I can learn.



Christ continues to tell us how we need to study the scriptures to prepare for the second coming. 

President Hinckley said “I am grateful for the emphasis on reading the scriptures.  I hope that for you this will become something far more enjoyable than a duty; that , rather, it will become a love affair with the word of God.  I promise you that as you read, your minds will be enlightened and your spirits will be lifted.  At First it may seem tedious, but that will change into a wondrous experience with thought and words of things divine.”  This year, I can honestly say reading the scriptures has gone from something I quickly fit in to something I enjoy and spend time learning from.  If nothing else, I’m so grateful for Pathway for that.



Our study skill this week was symbolism.  I’m so glad I chose symbolism because there is so much symbolism in these chapters!


3 Nephi 24:2 But who may abide the day of his coming, and who shall stand when he appeareth?  For he is like a refiner’s fire, and like fuller’s soap.



The Savior is the refiner, he will cleanse and purify our souls that we can return to live with our Heavenly Father.  The Atonement is the fuller’s soap to help cleanse us of our sins and help us to be spotless before God.



I loved this Mormon Message about the Refiner’s Fire…so powerful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIIgm6xABQ



So much doctrine is being taught in these chapters.  It testifies that on going scripture study is something that I need to be constantly doing.  There is so much there that I did not catch it all the first several times of reading it. 



President Kimball said “I have had many people ask me through the years, When do you think we will get the balance of the Book of Mormon records?  And I have said, How many in the congregation would like to read the sealed portion of the plates?  And almost always there is a 100 percent response.  And then I ask the same congregation, How many of you have read the part that as been opened to us?  And there are many who have not read the Book of Mormon, the unsealed portion.  We are quite often looking for the spectacular, the unobtainable.  I have found many people who want to live the higher laws when they do not live the lower laws”


This gives new (ok, new for me) perspective.  We need to do and obey all that we know and have now before we go asking for more.  And I think this advice goes for more than just the scriptures.  As we continue to learn we will be able to learn more and our knowledge will grow. 


No comments: