Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Class 4

This class was all about Attachment. These classes are reminding me of all I learned in my sociology classes.  I loved sociology!  Maybe that's we're enjoying these classes.  Everything we're learning seems to be common sense, but so good to learn and hear.

First we learned about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs:


Maslow's theory suggests that the most basic level of needs must be met before the individual will strongly desire (or focus motivation upon) the secondary or higher level needs.  Most foster kids are dealing with the bottom two needs.  Which means they aren't being or feeling love and there is no self esteem.  You have to gain the child's trust before that love and attachment can form.  The child can think, just because you have him safety for one night, doesn't mean he'll get safety the next night.  It will take time and patience for this attachment and trust to form.

We also learned about when a new placement joins your family.  One thing that stuck out to me, is not to act too happy.  I'm sure Howard and I will be excited when a child comes into our home, BUT it is probably the child's worst day of his life.  He's been taken from everything he knows.  We have to be respectful of that and be supportive of those attachments he already has.  Our leader always says...this child had a life before he met you, you have to remember that.

It was a good class.

We also had another Home Study with our case worker.  It was with our REAL case worker and we really liked her.  Having her in our home made everything seem more real!  She asked us for rules of the house.  We hadn't really thought of that. I guess we need to come up with some rules.  It seems so weird to come up with rules for these hypothetical children.   I'm sure we'll be making up stuff as it comes along! 

2 comments:

Adam and Emily said...

I have to say I am really enjoying learning what you are learning...I mean we always can use some clarification on things. You guys are going to do great!!

Davis said...

That is a really interesting class...I'm proud of you guys. I know you have a ways to go, but you seem to be getting it all. Good luck with everything!